Friday, August 21, 2009

nutella froyo

I do it because I can...and because I love, love, love nutella. My next attempt at making frozen yogurt was supposed to be a healthier choice with blueberries, but it seems the Blueberry Monster hit up my fridge. Actually, my nephew stopped by yesterday, so there were two Blueberry Monsters.

My heart was set on making frozen yogurt, so I scanned the fridge and pantry for ideas and spotted my old friend, nutella. The first bite was a bit surprising 'cause I expected that familiar creamy, choco-hazelnut flavor, but got something less sweet and tangy instead. The second bite was much happier. It doesn't taste like nutella, but more like chocolate yogurt. I like it!

This almost turned into a rocky road, but the marshmallows in my pantry were past their prime. It's a rare thing for me to have marshmallows in stock. I bought them following a trip to NYC when I fell in love with the cornflake marshmallow chocolate chip cookies at momofuku milk bar. The intention was to try to recreate them at home, but I think planning another trip to NYC is a better choice.

Here's a simple recipe I threw together for my nutella froyo:
1 c. whole milk
2 c. nonfat vanilla yogurt
3/4 c. nutella

I mixed everything with a spatula in a bowl, then poured it into the ice cream maker. 25 minutes later, voila. The end product fit into the 32 oz. yogurt container and was placed in the freezer to "ripen".

No comments: